Washington,

DC's pre-War Apartments

Washington,

DC's pre-War Apartments

Welcome to

The "Truman House" Condominium

4701 Connecticut Ave. NW

Washington, DC 20008

Truman House at 4701 Connecticut Ave. NW, as it is colloquially known, is quite famous because it is the only private residence in Washington, DC of a sitting POTUS. Vice President Harry Truman lived in the building with his wife Bess and his daughter Margaret when in April, 1945, President Franklin Roosevelt died suddenly and Harry Truman became President. That day, the White House sent a car to 4701 for Bess and Margaret to attend the impromptu swearing-in ceremony at the White House. The next evening, newspapers ran a photograph of President Truman preparing his own breakfast in the kitchen of his apartment at 4701.

The building of 4701 was another collaboration between Harry Bralove and his young protégé, Joseph Abel. Abel cleverly designed the building in the shape of an H with 2 two-bedroom apartments at each extremity, each of which had two exterior views. The crossbar of the shape had spacious one bedroom apartments with a single exterior view. The five story building has a total of 50 units. The lower ground level garage parking has separate doors for each space. A few ground level apartments have sizable private patios ,The particular attractions of the "Truman House" are the amazingly large public rooms within each apartment. Each has a large entry gallery, a large living room, a full size formal dining room, a walk through kitchen with adjoining breakfast room and the bonus of a solarium, porch or open balcony. They are and entertainers dream.The building was renovated by Holland and Lyons and converted to condominium ownership in 1977.


WC & AN Miller REALTORS
A Long & Foster Company
Bethesda All Points Office
4701 Sangamore Rd.
Bethesda, MD 20816
Office Phone: 301-229-4000
Cell/Direct: 202-320-6077
E-mail: Jim@TheSweeneyTeam.com
Website: www.TheSweeneyTeam.com

 James C. Sweeney

Associate-Broker