Washington,

DC's pre-War Apartments

Washington,

DC's pre-War Apartments

Welcome to

The Carthage Condominium

2301 Connecticut Ave. NW

Washington, DC

Approaching the intersection of Connecticut Ave. and Kalorama Road from any direction is a thrill for any driver, passenger or pedestrian in DC; the buildings which line the streets are so grand and so beautiful! One is hard pressed to pick a favorite but there is one which certainly stands in contrast to the others. The Carthage is set back behind a modest but lush, always well manicured, grassy lawn. It is a welcome accent on an intersection where the other buildings tightly hug the sidewalks. It is also the easel for displaying a special Washington building. The Carthage is triangular, rising 8 stories, and seems to stand alone at the intersection because it has an entire corner all to itself. Its height is accented by its curved corners and the perfectly lined columns of  balconies which evoke all the elegance and romance of Paris.    The Carthage was built in 1919 and renovated in 1980. Except for 2 smaller units on the first and ground level, all of the other 26 apartments at the Carthage are large 2 bedroom units ranging from 1484 to 2028 square feet. All have formal dining areas, fireplaces, and those wonderful balconies. The original architects of the Carthage in 1919 were Bell and Rich which is rather apropos because this is a building which is both "beautiful" as well as "opulent".In 1987, the Carthage was, deservedly so,  listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 James C. Sweeney

Associate-Broker 

WC & AN Miller REALTORS
A Long & Foster Company
Bethesda All Points Office
4701 Sangamore Rd.
Bethesda, MD 20816
Office Phone: 301-229-4000
Cell/Direct: 202-320-6077
E-mail: Jim@TheSweeneyTeam.com
Website: www.TheSweeneyTeam.com